In the budget speech made public by the finance minister Bhanu Bhakta Dhakal on Saturday, he highlighted the transition of Nepal into modern tunnel ways. He mentioned that with the inauguration of tunnel in Nagdhunga, gateway to the capital of the nation, the country has made possible its long-awaited progress towards development of tunnel paths. Such tunnels are important towards improving transportation ways in a country that has harsh topography/ rough terrain.
Several allocations have been made to provide impetus to tunnel projects that have already been studied as well as development of new ones. According to the government, the tunnel from Nagdhunga of Kathmandu to Sisne Khola of Dhading district, with an estimated budget of around NRs. 10 billion would be in operation in the next two years. Similarly, this year’s budget has made significant provisions towards development of other tunnel roads across the country. The government has set aside NRs. 1.8 billion towards building the Tinkune-Jadibuti road in Kathmandu. The planned tunnel way is expected to be a huge relief to the everyday traffic jam in that road segment.
As per the Budget 2021/22, amount has been allocated towards initiation of tunnel project in the following road/highways:
- SIddhababa- Dovan Road (Siddhartha Highway)
- Lamabagar- Lapche Road (Dolakha)
- Dharan- Lewati Road (Dharan-Dhankuta Roadway)
Similarly, the road segments below have been chosen for feasibility study and development of detailed project report in the budget 2021/22:
Projects selected for Feasibility Study and Detailed Project Report
- Majhimtar-Shaktikhor Road (Prithvi Highway)
- Hemja- Nayapool Road (Pokhara-Baglung Highway)
- Dumling-Wangsing Road (Chepang Highway)
- Dumkibas-Bardaghat Road (East-West Highway)
- Babai-Chinchu Road (Kohalpur-Surkhet Highway)
- Kapase-Siyakot Road (Surkhet-Daillekh Roadway)
- Prabhas-Jorte Road (Palpa-Tamghas Roadway)
- Bipinagar-Khutiya (Dipayal Roadway)
Tunnel ways selected for Detailed Project Report in the budget are:
- Tokha-Chahare-Gurjubhanjyang Road
- Betrawati-Syafrubesi Road
- Khurkot-Chiyabari Road
- Thankot-Chitlang Road
Development of these roads are expected to contribute immensely towards greater accessibility across the nation. The nation hopes to reduce its problem of traffic congestion and travel time considerably with the construction of these tunnels. It is a positive sign to witness the government making strides towards the construction of such tunnel projects that are significant towards interconnecting economies across the country.