When we think about environmental sustainability, we often come across the term 3R’s. Do you know what 3R’s stands for? It stands for Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle are the most significant methods towards creating a sustainable lifestyle. You might be surprised to know that our small steps towards implementing 3R’s in our daily lives can make a huge impact on the environment. Let’s learn more about them:
Reduce simply means to use fewer products and energy to minimize waste and consume minimal resources. Refusing to use products that are harmful to the environment is a most significant way to reduce waste.
How can we reduce waste?
- We can choose to buy items with less packaging
- We can Refuse single-use plastics and plastic products like plastic plates, cups and straws instead use reusable plates and cups, metals and bamboo straws
- We can choose to carry a cloth bag while shopping
- We can choose longer life products and prefer buying recyclable and reusable goods
- We can reduce food waste and use them to make your compost
Reuse means to find a new way to use any product to increase its lifespan. A product can be used repeatedly instead of throwing it away.
How can we reuse?
• We can reuse old clothes by using them as cleaning towels or donating them.
• We can reuse bottles to make your water bottle or flower vase.
• Jars, bottles, cartoons can be reused to store food and other items.
• Old papers can be reused to make rough copies or diaries.
• We can reuse toilet paper rolls to make a stationery holder.
• Prefer buying a refillable pen and use them repeatedly.
• Cardboards can be reused to make dustbins or store clothes and other items
• Use of rechargeable batteries instead of the disposable or primary battery.
It is the process where unwanted products are undergone through a process to produce a marketable product. The items that cannot be reduced or reused can be recycled. We can recycle by collecting newspapers, cardboards, aluminum, steel, metal cans, containers, jars and glass bottles and giving them to recyclable waste collectors or take it to the nearby recycling center.
Why should we apply 3R’s in our daily life?
• The application of 3R’s reduces the amount of waste generated in the environment.
• Recycling converts waste into new and useful products.
• Reducing and reusing minimizes our consumption and cost.
• It reduces the volume of wastes in our houses and landfills.
• It helps reduce air, water and soil pollution.
• For every ton of recycled newspaper, we can save 17 trees.
• Recycling a single plastic bottle creates 20% less air pollution than producing a new one.
• The use of reusable bags by just one person over a lifetime will save over 22,000 plastic bags.
• The average lifespan of a single plastic is 15 minutes. Reduce the use of plastics.